Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of our frequently asked questions. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

  1. What do I do if I get a request for a FR-19 from the MVA?
  2. What do I do if I have had an auto accident?
  3. what do I do after a Homeowners loss?
  4. What do I need to report a claim?
  5. What should I do when I buy or sell a car?
  6. Independent Contractor or Employee?
What do I do if I get a request for a FR-19 from the MVA?

What should I do when I get a request for a FR-19?

  • Email to or fax to 410-833-3564 a copy of the request you have received from the MVA.
  • We will then notify the MVA electronically of your coverage term with our Agency.
  • We will then notify you of the outcome.

What if I have had a lapse in insurance or tags in my posession without insurance?

  • You will receive an penalty from the MVA for the amount you owe.

When must I provide proof of insurance to the MVA?

  • When your previous insurer informs the MVA your policy has been cancelled, and the MVA notifies you that proof of insurance is necessary. Your new company does not automatically notify the MVA.
  • If you receive a letter from the MVA for the accumulation of at least three driving points.

Why must I provide proof of insurance?

The law protects the public and helps reduce insurance costs by identifying uninsured motorists and keeping them off the roads.

What is meant by proof of insurance? How do I provide it?

When the MVA requests a proof of insurance, a Maryland Insurance Certification (FR-19) is the only acceptable form of verification. The ID card and actual policy are not acceptable

When you register or renew a vehicle registration, you must sign an insurance certification. Your signature acknowledges that the minimum vehicle liability insurance will be maintained throughout the registration periods and the vehicle will not be driven without insurance.

  • It can only be issued by an insurance company licensed to do business in Maryland or an authorized agent of such a company.
  • It's only valid for 30 days.
  • It's free of charge from your insurance company or authorized agent and should be mailed or brought to an MVA full-service office along with the request form from the MVA.
  • It can be faxed or submitted electronically to the MVA by your insurance company or authorized agent.
  • Photocopies are not accepted.

Back to Top

What do I do if I have had an auto accident?
 Obviously it is hard to think clearly after a car accident so it is important to know before you get into an accident what to do first and what questions may need answered. This checklist will help you know what to do after a car accident. It is best to review it now and then print it out and keep a copy with you in your car.
  • Determine the Extent of Damage or Injuries

    Try to stay calm. Panic can make others panic and the situation worse. There needs to be a calm person to determine the extent of damage and to determine if there are any injuries that need immediate medical attention.

  • File a Car Accident Report with the Police

    Even in a minor accident it is important to make sure there is a legal accident report. Do not leave the scene until the police file a full report.

  • Discuss the Car Accident Only with the Police

    With everyone all shook up it can be hard not to talk about what just happened, but that can also lead to you not thinking clearly and accurately about what happened. It is important to limit your discussion of the accident and not to admit any fault or liability. You should talk about the accident with the police and your insurance agent only.

  • Get the Facts

    This is the part most people know to do, but often forget to after the accident for one reason or another. It is important to get names, address, and phone numbers of everyone involved in the accident. A description of the car and license plate number can also be helpful, but make sure you also get their insurance company and the vehicle identification number of their car. Don't just assume the license plate number will do because most insurance companies only record the type of car and the vehicle identification number, not the license plate number.

  • Call you Insurance Agent

    Call your agent or insurance company's 800-number immediately, even at the scene with the police if possible. Sometimes the police officer can give your insurance company more accurate information rather than information you may not be recording properly because you are upset by the accident. This can save you a lot of time later waiting for your claim to be processed.

Back to Top

what do I do after a Homeowners loss?

Promptly report the loss to the Agency or directly to the Insurance Company. The faster you report you claim, the sooner we can help you.

Protect property from further damage by arranging for reasonable temporary repairs as soon as possible. For example, if windows are broken, have them boarded up to protect your home and property against vandalism or weather damage.

Keep an accurate record of all temporary repair expenses (e.g., bills and/or material receipts) so that you can add the amount to your claim. Also, keep an accurate record of any and all expenses incurred to be considered for possible reimbursement. Please do not make any permanent repairs until the insurance adjuster has had a chance to review the damage.

Determine the damage to your personal property (contents). Make a written list of what was damaged. To be as accurate as possible, please include the manufacturer, brand name and the place and date of purchase. We recommend beginning this process by dividing your list into broad categories such as location (e.g., living room, bedroom #1, bedroom #2). If available, photographs, videotapes or personal property inventories are valuable resources during the itemization process.

Separate damaged and undamaged property. In order to complete a full assessment of the loss, your  claim representative will need to inspect all damaged property. If possible, place damaged items in a secure area where they can be inspected. If you are unsure about any item, please include it with the damaged property.

Back to Top

What do I need to report a claim?

What information do I need to report my claim?
Depending on the type of claim you are reporting, different information will be needed. Typically, however, the kind of information we will ask for includes:

  • Your contact information
  • The name and contact information of any other involved parties
  • Your policy info (if available)
  • The type of loss you are reporting
  • The date the incident occurred
  • A description of the loss
  • A description of any injuries

When you call to report your loss,  claim professionals are trained to capture complete and accurate information so you can feel confident that the details of your loss will be obtained. And remember, the sooner you call  to report your loss, the sooner we can help you get back on the road.

I don't have all the information needed to report my claim. What should I do?
You should report your claim to  as soon as possible, even if you don't have all the necessary information. The faster you report your claim to us, the sooner we can start handling your claim. You will also be in contact with your claim representative throughout the entire claim process so you can always update information.

How long will it take to settle my claim?
The first step is up to you. The faster you report your loss to the claim reporting number, the faster we can begin handling your claim without delay. Each claim is different and therefore the length of time needed to settle your claim depends on many factors. The type of claim, severity of the damages and other circumstances will all determine the time it will take to settle your claim. Your  claim representative will help you through each step of the process and can answer any questions you have about your claim

Back to Top

What should I do when I buy or sell a car?
If you have purchased or sold a car, you should contact our office and notify of this transaction so we can make the necessary changes to your policy.  Please keep the following items in mind:
  • To add a vehicle, we will need the date you put license plates on the vehicle as this is the date it must be insured.  We will also need the lienholder/lessor name and address if the vehicle is finance or leased.  Provide the name and license number of any new drivers to be added to the policy and how the vehicle will be used.
  • To delete a vehicle, we will need to know the date that the license plates were returned to the MVA. You can delete a vehicle after this date but not before without facing a penalty.

It is your responsibility to make the change to your auto policy even if the Dealer indicates that they will handle this transaction.

Back to Top

Independent Contractor or Employee?

Maryland Workplace Fraud Act of 2009

Legislative overview
Misclassifying employees as independent contractors to cut costs, including on WC insurance, is prohibited with the passage of SB 909 of 2009, also known as the Maryland Workplace Fraud Act of 2009.

Passed by the state legislature in April of 2009 and signed by Gov. O'Malley that May, the Act stipulates that for the purposes of enforcement, a presumption that work performed by an individual paid by an employer creates an employer-employee relationship. The language establishes investigation procedures for the Commissioner of Labor and Industry, as well as provides for civil penalties in the event of both an intentional ("knowingly misclassify") and unintentional ("improperly misclassify") infraction. The law took effect on Oct. 1, 2009 and is specific to the construction and landscaping industries.

The passage of this bill in Maryland mirrors a national trend of implementing similar legislation throughout the country.

Read the Maryland Workplace Fraud Act - language of SB 909 from the 2009 legislative session (effective Oct. 1, 2009)
SB 909 Fiscal and Policy Note - provides an overview on the Act, written by the Department of Legislative Services within the General Assembly
Definition and criteria
An employer-employee relationship is presumed unless:

The individual is an exempt person (defined on page 6 of the statute, part D); or
An employer demonstrates that:

"Construction services" is defined to include:

Building, reconstructing, improving, enlarging, painting, altering, maintaining, and repairing
"Landscaping services" is defined to include:

Garden maintenance and planting, lawn care including fertilizing/mowing/mulching/seeding/spraying, seeding and mowing of highway strips, sod laying, turf installation (except artificial), ornamental bush planting/pruning/bracing/spraying/removal, and ornamental tree planting/pruning/bracing/spraying/removal
Additionally, a person who "assists, advises, or otherwise facilitates" an employer to misclassify employees is subject to a civil penalty of up to $20,000. Lawyers and CPAs are exempt from the fine but may be subject to sanctions by their regulatory bodies. There is no such exemption for insurance producers.

The Commissioner of Labor and Industry can conduct an investigation "on the Commissioner's own initiative", on receipt of a signed written complaint, or on a referral from another unit of state government. The Commissioner is also given authority to enter a place of business or work site to observe work, interview individuals, and review and copy records.

Back to Top

© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder